Thursday, February 7, 2008

Beatles and the Choir

For fat Tuesday most people drink, dance, party... go to Venice. One girl in my program even fell in a canal while she was there! Oh but not me... I had a very irregular end to my carnival.
I recently joined a university community choir with two other girls. After my first evening there Francesco, the director, asked if we wanted to join them the following week in performing. I was the only of the 3 to show up, which was initially nerve racking, but in the long run it was perfect. Without the other girls at my side not only was I more approachable, but I needed to be approached. Everybody took such care of me!!! People would link arms with me to get me to come with them. I am now officially called 'Miss Alaska'. I was wearing knee length shorts, and for me, it was a little chilly, but nothing to complain about. Everybody was shocked, this apparently is scandalous! But I would hear people saying, 'oh remember, she's from Alaska, its hot here for her!' Yeah... its not hot here, but I just love that they all think I'm too hot!
The concert was in a very fun theater in Bologna, 40 minutes from Ferrara. During the concert we sang back up for a band. We sang and danced and clapped all during the concert. It was a good time I just kept laughing, I couldn't help it! The choir sounded...not so good, but because I don't really feel tied to them I didn't care!
Among the many good things to come of the evening were one, that Francesco asked me to sing in the other choir he directs as well... I don't know what kind of choir it is, but maybe its more exclusive than this one, or at least balanced. And two, last night I was walking down the street with a few people and Jacamo from choir recognized me and called out to me! People in town know me! I'm no longer completely a stranger! What a fabulous feeling, I can't even tell you!

No comments: